Reducing fire risk
Over 200 people in England die each year in fires in their homes. These are often caused by smoking materials, cooking accidents, candles and faulty electrical appliances - especially heaters - and wiring.
These simple steps can reduce the risk of fire and keep everyone safer:
- Fit smoke alarms on every level of your home
- Test them on the 1st of every month and NEVER take out the batteries
- Plan your escape route and make sure everyone in your house knows it
- Put cigarettes out - right out - and never smoke in bed
- Take extra care in the kitchen and never leave cooking unattended
- Make a bedtime check last thing at night to reduce fire risks eg unplug heaters
- Never try to tackle a fire yourself. If you have a fire, get out and ring the fire service.