Skip to main content

Improvements or alterations

If you want to carry out changes or improvements to your home, you must get written permission from your housing officer.
If you wish to carry out any changes to the inside or outside of your home please write to your housing officer (not sure who your housing officer is?  Use our postcode search).

You will need to give us full details of the work you propose, including local authority approval where appropriate and the name of the person or company who will carry out the work.  The person or company carrying out the work must be qualified to carry out the type of work you are proposing.
Certain authorised improvements to your home are liable to compensation for improvements at the end of an assured tenancy. The sort of improvements that qualify for this compensation are the installation of a new bath, shower, heating system or double glazing.
The compensation paid will be based on the “notional life” of the improvement allowing for wear and tear.

Find out about disabled adaptions.

back to top