Skip to main content

Gas servicing

In 1996 the government introduced a new law for all landlords who rent out properties to employ a registered gas engineer to carry out a gas safety check at least once a year on all gas appliances. Upon request, a landlord should be able to provide a certificate to prove that their gas appliances are serviced.

Magna is not responsible for gas servicing in homeowners' homes, although we are responsible for gas servicing in the homes of our tenants.

If you are a leaseholder who rents out your property, you are a landlord and this law applies to you.

Even if you are not a landlord, Magna Housing strongly recommends that you have your boiler and other gas appliances serviced once a year. It could reduce the cost of repairs as well as ensure that your home appliances are safe for you to use.

What should you do if you believe you can smell gas in your home?

  • Turn the gas supply off immediately at the meter.

  • Extinguish all sources of ignition.

  • Do NOT smoke or operate electrical light/power switches.

  • If necessary, ventilate the building by opening doors and windows.

     And finally,

  • Report the gas escape to Transco on 0800 111 999
back to top