If you smell gas, please follow these simple steps:
- Turn off the gas supply – the on/off lever can be found by the gas meter.
- Open all windows and doors
- Do not turn on or off any lights or sockets, strike matches or light cigarettes.
- Contact the National Gas Emergency Service immediately to report a gas leak on FREEPHONE 0800 111 999 and your call will be routed to a call centre.
It doesn’t matter what time day or night you ring –you will be asked by the call handler to give your address, post code and the following information.
- The address/location of the suspected gas escape or gas emergency
- How many people are at the property where the smell is most noticeable?
- How long the smell has been noticeable?
- Is the smell coming from the cellar/basement?
- Are any neighbours affected?
- Your name and phone number
- Any special circumstances or access information
National Grid engineers will always 'make safe' when called to a suspected gas escape. However, the emergency service provided by National Grid under the terms of its licence doesn't cover repairs to appliances or installation pipework which can't be completed within 30 minutes.
Then ring our customer services on freephone emergency number 0800 358 6025