St. Martin's Extra Care Scheme
We're building a new independent living development on the site of the former St. Martin's House in Gillingham.
Located close to Gillingham High Street, it's close to local shops and other amenities which makes it an ideal location to support residents who want to live independently. It's also surrounded by lots of lovely local services such as the Gillingham Museum, the Town Meadow, and the Gillingham Youth and Community Centre where groups and activities are held every week.
It will provide 55 one and two-bedroom apartments for rent with communal facilities developed for people who need have care needs and require additional support as they get older, while living in a supportive and beautiful environment.
Extra Care Housing is underpinned by three principles; promoting independence, promoting empowerment and accessibility as default.
Allocation of the homes within the scheme will be agreed through a joint process managed in partnership with Dorset Council.
Each apartment will include:
- An open-plan kitchen and living room
- A non-slip shower room with a walk-in shower
- Storage and cupboard space with built-in wardrobes
- An alarm system and video door entry.
There will also be a range of communal facilities available to residents, including:
- A wellbeing room - a multi-use room where activities or services such as opticians and mobile hairdressers can be hosted.
- Main lounge which can be used by customers to sit and relax or to meet and socialise with friends and family.
- A dining room area to meet for coffee and cake and host social events
- A meal service - once all flats are occupied, a meal service will be available as an option service and paid for when used.
- An activity room and quiet lounge
- Mobility vehicle storage
- A staff office with staff on-site 24 hours per day
- Refuse rooms
- Guest suite where family and friends can stay when they visit. There will be a charge for the use of this facility.
- Private gardens, wildlife garden and a nature trail for customers, friends and family to enjoy.
- Activities run on site to keep active and encourage socialising
All of these apartments will be fully accessible with lifts throughout the building. Take a look at the floor plans for the building:
There will be on-site parking with charging points for electric vehicles.
Family and friends are welcome at any time and can access our guest suite if overnight accommodation is required (there is a small charge per night and pre-booking is advisable). There is plenty of local parking available just a short walk from the scheme.
The building will incorporate reused architectural elements saved from the former St. Martin's House and will be built using some modern construction materials built off-site to ensure that homes are more cost-effective to run and more friendly to the environment.