Stock vacuuming

In and around your home


It is your responsibility to dispose of your household rubbish properly. You must either use the communal bin provided or put your rubbish out on the day of collection. Please do not allow rubbish to become scattered around in any communal areas or become a nuisance in anyway.

It is your responsibility to dispose of large, bulky items. The cost to remove any large items of rubbish from common areas will be recharged to those who live there. If you would like to know about recycling arrangements in your area, please contact your local council.

Pets in flats

Although a pet can be a great comfort, it can also be a nuisance to neighbours and some properties are not suitable to keep pets in. If you want to keep a pet, you need to request our permission. We will not unreasonably withhold our permission. It is important to check the terms of your lease as some leases prevent home owners from keeping pets.

In all cases, it is your responsibility to keep your pet under control. If it causes a nuisance we will ask you to stop the problem. If you do not stop the problem, we will ask you to rehome your pet.

No animal may be kept on any shared area or communal grounds.

Every dog must be micro-chipped before permission will be granted. We will not allow any dangerous or illegal dogs to be kept as prohibited by the DDA 1991.

Pest and vermin

It is your responsibility to deal with pests such as ants, fleas and woodlice. You should contact your local council’s environmental health department for advice if you have any problems with pests or vermin, such as mice, rats and wasp nests. Councils may make a charge for treating vermin.

Satellite dishes and television aerials

Most blocks of flats have a communal television aerial, for which we are responsible. We will only allow one satellite dish per block of flats. Permission must be given by us before any aerials or satellite dishes are erected on a property. In some areas, you may also need planning permission to erect an aerial or satellite dish. Please note there may be a charge for this consent.

Estate management

The quality of the area where you live is just as important as the home you live in. We want estates to be in a good condition and places where people want to live and visit. Estate management involves anything that affects the condition of the estate. If we hold estate walkabouts where you live, you will be invited to take part. We have an estate services photo booklet which shows the standard you can expect us to maintain.

Running a business

Your lease may state that you may not use your home for any trade, profession or occupation. However, some forms of work, such as childminding or basic administration, may be acceptable. If you wish to run a business from your home, you must obtain our written permission and check the conditions of your lease. For further information please contact us.

Grounds maintenance

If your home has shared areas of land with landscaping, grassed areas, flower beds, hedges etc, they will need to be looked after regularly. This work is called grounds maintenance. We are responsible for making sure this work is carried out to set standards. The cost of this is included in your service charge. We will NOT normally give permission for you to take on a shared area as your own, make any changes or put up any buildings (for example, sheds).

Private gardens

If your lease includes a private garden, you are responsible for keeping it neat and tidy, including any hedges. You should not allow rubbish to build up as it may cause a hazard.

Neighbour nuisance, harassment, domestic violence and anti-social behaviour

Your lease contains a general covenant that you agree not to do, or allow anything to be done, to annoy or create a nuisance to other residents or neighbours. There are many things which can be classed as a nuisance, harassment or as anti-social behaviour. These include (but are not limited to):

  • racist, sexist, or homophobic behaviour or language
  • actual or threatened violence
  • domestic violence
  • sexual abuse
  • using abusive threatening or insulting words or behaviour
  • foul language
  • damaging or threatening to damage another person’s home or possessions
  • writing threatening, abusive or insulting graffiti
  • loud music
  • arguing and door-slamming
  • dog barking and fouling
  • operating noisy machinery or any other noisy activity for an excessive amount of time or at unreasonable hours
  • offensive drunkenness
  • rubbish dumping
  • drinking alcohol in shared areas
  • obstruction of communal areas
  • skateboarding or playing ball games where this is likely to cause nuisance or annoyance to nearby residents or where such activities are not permitted
  • breaching local byelaws
  • doing anything else that interferes with the peace, comfort or convenience of other people