Skip to main content

Universal credit

Universal credit is a relatively new benefit, for working age people, that has been introduced by the government. It is replacing employment and support allowance (income related), jobseekers allowance (income based), income support, child tax credit, working tax credit and housing benefit.

It is a big change to the welfare benefit system. It is paid calendar monthly in arrears, and includes a payment for your rent. It is your responsibility to pay this to Magna.

It will initially be introduced to single jobseekers making a new claim only, but will have a number of exclusions that mean you could still be directed to claim jobseekers allowance.

Claims for universal credit need to be made online. You need to visit to do this. Backdating is extremely limited, so it is important you do this as soon as you think you may be eligible. In exceptional circumstances you will be able to claim by ringing 0345 6000723, but they will encourage you to do it online wherever possible.

By the end of 2022, it is expected that everyone currently on one of the existing benefits will be transferred to universal credit.

Universal credit will be rolling out to more groups in the future and eventually will replace the following benefits and tax credits:

• Income Support (IS)
• Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (JSA I/B)
• Income Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA I/R)
• Housing Benefit (HB)
• Child Tax Credit
• Working Tax Credit

If you have any questions regarding Universal Credit please contact the Money Matters team on 01305 216067 or by email.

The following contacts may also help:

You can get advice about universal credit as well as general advice on money matters from the Money Advice Service (Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm, closed weekends and bank holidays):
Telephone: 0800 138 7777     
Typetalk: 18001 0800 915 4622

back to top