If you smell gas, please follow these simple steps:
- Turn off the gas supply – the on/off lever can be found by the gas meter.
- Open all windows and doors
- Do not turn on or off any lights or sockets, strike matches or light cigarettes.
- Contact the National Gas Emergency Service immediately to report a gas leak on FREEPHONE 0800 111 999.
It doesn’t matter what time day or night you ring –you will be asked by the call handler to give your address, post code and the following information.
- The address/location of the suspected gas escape or gas emergency
- How many people are at the property where the smell is most noticeable?
- How long the smell has been noticeable?
- Is the smell coming from the cellar/basement?
- Are any neighbours affected?
- Your name and phone number
- Any special circumstances or access information
National Grid engineers will always 'make safe' when called to a suspected gas escape. This will generally be by switching off the gas supply.
Once the national grid engineer has made sure you are safe, contact us on 0800 358 6025 and we will help you get your gas supply switched back on. If the gas leak was from your gas meter, we will advise you to contact your gas supplier. If the gas leak was from the gas appliance we will send one of our operatives to fix the problem.